I’ve been thinking lately about some lessons I’ve learned in life. I wish I was as skilled at learning life lessons as I was in learning lessons in school… but unfortunately I feel like I often have to relearn the same things again and again in life. A few I’ve been thinking on…
- The nature of God. God is good. God works things out for good… even in the midst of life-storms when it seems he is so far away. I went to a book club meeting a few nights ago where we were discussing Fearless by Max Lucado (another L!). A quote in that book reminded me of this lesson… to hold to faith and lessons I’ve learned about God’s nature even when emotions scream otherwise. To allow doubt but not be consumed by it. Thankfully not in a huge life-storm at the moment… but still need to remember those lessons.
- Thankfulness. I am really trying to be thankful for what I have and the little things in life instead of wondering how things could have been different or being jealous of what others have… whether materially or relationally. And I’m trying to focus here on mostly positive lessons I’ve learned… and not some of the experiences that have led me to be a bit cynical and untrusting along the way.
- Living in the moment. Today has been an exasperating parenting day. Well, to be more truthful, the last few hours or so has been exasperating parenting hour. Nothing huge going on… just my realization of how much I have to get done in the next 36 hours or so coupled with typical preschooler dawdling. And yet I know that in what seems like days I am going to turn around and miss requests for a few more minutes spent together. So at about 30 minutes past bedtime, I denied the bedtime story request and agreed to the devotional book reading. Love snuggling and Eskimo kisses with this little boy. 🙂
- Not worrying about the future… trusting God… trusting other people. This is the one that is so, so hard for me to learn. I’m trying… even through things as simple as letting people know about rough days.
- Letting go. Another hard lesson for me to learn… letting go of past hurts, letting go of bad situations because I can’t trust that the new ones will be any better (definitely making progress there though!). Letting go of the idea that people don’t care about what I have to say. Letting go of holding grudges. It is a lot easier to let go of the physical junk in my house than other kinds of junk in my life.
- Giving it my best effort instead of endlessly trying to perfect things. Or feeling like others expect me to. Tonight… that’s why this post is here. I could polish it up… I could do more with it. For tonight, for this crazy week, it has to be good enough.